Family Business United (‘FBU’) works tirelessly to promote the family business sector, to provide a voice and to ensure that the sector is fairly represented.
Family businesses are the lifeblood of countries the world over, contributing in many cases in excess of 65% of all private businesses. Not only that, but the contribution made by family firms in terms of employment, income, tax revenues and community involvement is significant too. All too often family firms are dismissed for being small, lifestyle businesses that fail to span the generations and do not make much of a contribution.
One of the reasons for the creation of FBU was to work to dispel these myths, to reflect on the contribution that family firms of all sizes and sectors make to the global economy and to give them a voice.
We provide a voice for family firms in many ways:
- Sharing their stories and promotion of the sector
- Undertaking research projects into the oldest family firms aroudn the world and sharing the findings on our platforms and through the media
- Regularly contributing to media pieces on family businesses
- Undertaking an annual family business survey across the UK
- Undertaking an annual family business survey in Scotland
- Creating and championing days such as American Family Business Day, International Family Business Day, National Family Business Day etc
- Promoting the findings from research undertaken by other professional advisory firms and academic institutions in support of the sector
- Interviewing influencers and creating noise around the topic
- Hosting innovative events to enable family business leaders to come together, share ideas and learn from each other.
We are proud of the work that we do to champion the sector and demonstrate that family firms really are a force for good. Our work recognises the significant contribution that family firms make to the global economy and it is a real pleasure to celebrate the sector.