Family Firms Make Britain GREAT!
16th July 2018 Paul Andrews
Our analysis from The Sunday Times HSBC Top Track 100 shows that family firms are what makes Britain GREAT!
The Sunday Times HSBC Top Track 100 league table ranks Britain’s 100 private companies with the biggest sales. It is compiled by Fast Track and published in The Sunday Times each July, with a series of associated dinners in the autumn. Based on non-listed firms that employ in excess of 100 people the 2018 list includes 100 businesses that have all generated sales in excess of £700 million too.
Always keen to celebrate the contribution that family firms make to the UK economy we have identified the top 10 family firms in the listing and the contribution that they make to the economy in terms of wealth, income and employment is staggering.
The top ten family firms in the UK cumulatively generate £40 billion turnover, in excess of £4 billion in profit and employ an incredible 246, 362 people.
The top ten:
- Swire Group - £10.5 billion turnover, 94,235 employees
- Arnold Clark - £3.9 billion turnover, 11,427 employees
- Pentland Group - £2.6 billion turnover, 20,865 employees
- Dyson - £3.5 billion turnover, 11,750 employees
- Bestway Group - £3.3 billion turnover, 25,706 employees
- 2 Sisters Food Group - £3.3 billion turnover, 22,272 employees
- EMR - £3.1 billion turnover, 3,000 employees
- Laing O’Rourke - £2.9 billion turnover, 15,273 employees
- JCB - £2.6 billion turnover, 9,334 employees
- Specsavers - £2.6 billion turnover, 32,500 employees
As Paul Andrews, Founder and Managing Director of Family Business United explains, “With more than 50% of the ownership of these firms in family hands, it is clear to see the contribution that family firms make to the UK economy. More needs to be done to support family businesses in the UK and more recognition given to all that they do too."
"We are continually having to dispel the myths that family firms are small and unproductive and these figures yet again prove that this is not the case. Family firms are the engine room of the UK economy and are the very essence of what we are about as a nation – they are what helps make Britain great!”
Find out more in the full listing here