Wray & Co
Business Address: Wray & Co, 102 New George Street, Plymouth, Devon PL1 1RZ
About Wray & Co
One of the oldest family owned business in Plymouth, we specialise in buying and selling Antique quality Pre-owned Jewellery.
As a family, we are all passionate about Pre-owned & Antique Jewellery and we are always happy to share our knowledge. We believe that our collection exemplifies the very best from a range of time periods in our history.
The business was started in Plymouth in 1887 by William G Capps having served his apprenticeship since the 1860's as a watchmaker. William's son Reginald William Capps started his apprenticeship with his father for three years and then went to Jersey for a further two years to do his Improvers. Having completed his apprenticship he opened a shop in Westwell Street Plymouth, using the name 'Wray' - Which was his mother's maiden name as his father was still trading as W G Capps.
On his father's retirement on the 8th July 1921 a promissory note was signed for £1500.00, for Tenants, Fixtures, Fittings & Stock in respect of the business carried on at 192a Union Street, between father & son.
Although two shop premises were destroyed in Union Street & Old Town Street during the Plymouth Blitz, within a fortnight of each other, Reginald continued to trade from the front window of a chemist.
After the war Reginald was joined by his son-in-law Herbert Statton, who in turn was later joined by his son Richard. In 1963 the New George Street premises was opened, and remains open today being run by Richard's son Andrew who joined the business 1985.
In August 2006 Andrew (Snr) achieved his ambition of a second shop, when 51 Fore Street, Kingsbridge was opened. In 2012 Andrew (Jnr), the sixth generation joined his father, and works side by side to carry the family business forward for future generations.