Business Address: AWL Group, 20a Manor Place, Edinburgh EH3 7DS
About AWL Group
One of Edinburgh’s longest established family businesses and provide high quality office, retail and industrial accommodation throughout East Central Scotland
The AWL Group has a trading history dating back to 1898.
Alexander Wilkie, born in 1874 was the eldest son of a Fife farmer who insisted that each of his 6 children should learn a trade. Alexander chose to become a tailor and quickly established a thriving business manufacturing coats and suits for the Scottish wholesale market. With the help of his wife Jemima, a fearsome character with outstanding skills in selling, Alexander expanded the business into retail and purchased 59-61 Shandwick Place in Edinburgh for just £9,000. In the years that followed he acquired further property in Shandwick Place enabling him to re-develop the whole of 49-61 Shandwick Place into one of Edinburgh’s finest retail fashion stores which he opened in 1932.
Successive generations continued to develop and grow the business and an expanding property portfolio was established alongside the growing retail business. Other significant property purchases were 30 Rutland Square in Edinburgh purchased from the Scout Association in 1945, 31 Rutland Square purchased in 1983 and a number of prominent retail units purchased during the 1980′s and 1990′s.
Recognising the ever changing nature of retail 49-61 Shandwick Place was extensively re-developed for mixed office/retail use in 2002. This property asset was then retained by the group and the retail business was sold in order concentrate on developing and growing the business as a dedicated property company. The property company is now known as the AWL Group.
Whilst the retail company (www.wilkies.co.uk) and the property company (www.awlgroup.com) are now entirely separate businesses, both companies are still owned and run by 4th generation family members.
Since 2002 the AWL Group has purchased a number of additional properties.