Business Address: McGowans Jewellers, 41 Argyll Arcade, Glasgow G2 8BA
Business Email: Send message
About McGowans Jewellers
Our fourth generation family business is deeply rooted in the history of Glasgow.
We were first established in 1895 as a market stall in the East End of the city, in a location which the world affectionately refers to as “the Barras.” The term originates from the Victorian era when community tradesmen, including our founder, sold their goods from handcarts or barrows. The Barras became more formalised in the 1920’s with the building of the McIver’s Sheds and the Barrowlands Ballroom. As the reputation of the McGowans stall continued to grow, so did the need for an established premises. This led to the purchase of our first shop and sewed the seed for our continual development.
During the 20th century, we cemented our reputation as a high quality jeweller with the name ‘McGowans the Engaging People,’ becoming renowned throughout Scotland. Responsibility for the company slowly passed through the generations, and in 1984, Michael McCann, the third generation director, opened our sister shop, Michael James Jewellers, in one of our current premises in the Argyll Arcade.
The company now operates from three busy shops in the Argyll Arcade and Bearsden, and is run by its fourth generation family member, Nicola McCann. Just as our business has progressed through the generations, many regular customers can say their parents, or even their grandparents, have bought jewellery throughout their lives in McGowans and Michael James.
Our family trade has encountered many changes over the years, in terms of our stock, our relationship with technology, and indeed the numerous refurbishments of the shops themselves. That said, many aspects of our company are reminiscent of that original stall at the Barras. Our core values of exceptional quality, outstanding value for money and high standards of personal service continue to underpin the work we do every day.