James Porter & Son
Business Address: James Porter & Son, 24-26 & 12-14 Argyll Arcade, Glasgow G28BA
About James Porter & Son
A jewellery and watch business run by the fifth generation and proud to have been trading from the same premises for over 120 years.
James Porter, having served his apprenticeship with a firm of clock and watch makers called Breckenridge in Kilmarnock moved to Glasgow in 1858 at the age of 21 and started his own business account as watch maker to the trade.
He worked from several upstairs addresses in Gordon Street and Buchanan Street, gradually building up a stock until eventually he had a shop at 134 Argyll Street, however, due to the city bank failure at this time he had to sell.
In May 1887 he opened another shop at 25 Argyll Arcade and in 1897 his son joined him and the name changed to James Porter & Son in 1905. Fifteen years later 26 Argyll Arcade Glasgow was purchased and the shop extended.
In 1928 the shop on the other side, number 24 was purchased and there again extended into the size it is today. In 1963 premises at 12/14 Argyll Arcade were acquired, by this time the firm was specialising in diamond rings and had given up the traditional silver plated wear for rings, jewellery and watches.
Today the business is currently in it's fifth generation, and very proud to be still trading out of the same premises for over 120 years.