A.J. Charlton & Sons Ltd
Business Address: The Sawmills, Buckland Dinham, Near Frome, Somerset BA11 2RH
Business Email: Send message
About A.J. Charlton & Sons Ltd
As a family business, Charltons take great care in the production of a range of high quality wooden gates and fencing.
Charltons is a family run business and has manufactured timber products for over 110 years at our sawmills near Frome in Somerset. We really do understand how to use this natural material to create products that are built to last. We supply stockists Nationwide with a range of gates, fencing and landscaping products.
We take great care in the production of a range of high quality wooden gates and fencing. All Charlton gates are hand assembled by craftsmen using traditional joinery skills and expertise to create beautiful and distinctive gates.
Charltons are very honoured to have been granted the Queen’s Royal Warrant having supplied the Royal households for nearly 20 years. We’re also pleased to supply various National Trust properties, The National Arboretum at Westonbirt, and Longleat Safari Park.
Charltons approach to quality is consistent across the entire range of products. Customers say it is this ethos that truly differentiates Charltons from other suppliers.
As a family run business, with a 100 year heritage, we have seen many significant developments that have helped make us one of the UK’s leading gate and fencing manufacturers.
Frank Charlton established A.J. Charlton & Sons Ltd in 1903 when he made the decision to diversify from farming to hauling timber. Originally formed to supply timber pit props to the nearby coal mines around Norton Radstock, Charltons used to cut and shape the wood at the family run sawmill before transporting it by horse and cart to the pit head.
1914 – 1923
During World War 1, Ferdinand Charlton, his brother Edward (and Charlton’s best horses) were called up to fight for King and Country. Thankfully Ferdinand returned safely and purchased a coal business to add to the pit prop work. This made return trips from the pit heads more profitable - coal was purchased from the collieryin exchange for timber using a barter system.
1924 – 1950
In 1929, Ferdinand’s second son, Anthony James, later to become Chief Executive of A.J. Charlton & Sons was born. In 1943, A.J. Charlton left Frome School at the age of 14 to work with horses in the woods and deliver coal and timber.
1951 – 1978
A.J. Charlton and his wife Edna had four sons, Michael, Peter, David and Adrian. All four boys eventually became directors of the family business in 1976 when a limited company was formed.
In 1978 an additional sawmill was purchased in Ubley, but as it was in poor condition it was replaced with a new sawmill. This same year new offices and a workshop were built to expand production of gates and a retail department officially opened to sell Charltons products; timber, gates, flooring and furniture.
1979 – 1998
In 1979, A.J. Charlton & Sons Ltd increased its fleet of modern lorries to over 10 vehicles. A Timber Trade Centre based in Radstock was launched in 1985 to supply timbers, mouldings, patio doors, conservatories, joinery, gates, fencing and craft supplies. This created an additional 15 jobs.
1980 – PRESENT
Charltons supply Glastonbury festival with timber for festival furniture and landscape features, and wood chips to help deal with the mud. In 1999, A.J. Charlton & Sons Ltd was identified as one of the top three gate companies in Britain and also markets in Belgium, France and Eire. The Sawmills also became the largest hardwood sawmill in the UK.
In 2000 A.J. Charlton & Sons Ltd was granted the Royal Warrant for supply of gates and timber to the Royal households.
Today Charltons are pleased to supply various National Trust properties and the National Arboretum at Westonbirt. Charltons have also recently supplied the BBC Gardeners World programme with featheredge fencing.
Our new brand is a sign of Charltons a modern, professional company with a rich history. The tree rings are reflective of the generations of the Charltons family since the birth of the company in 1903 – as new generations join the company rings can be added to depict the continual growth of the company.